Why is this important in relation to digital marketing? Google. Along with the Google mobile friendly algorithm update, the search engine power house also attributes page speed with SERP (search engine results page) rankings. This is relevant to developers, entrepreneurs and business executives who have websites containing a lot of data.
What is a PHP array?
In simple terms, an array is a list, which can be a linear list or a multi-dimensional list. The data from a SQL database can be stored into an array to be interpreted and manipulated by PHP, which lives in the RAM or memory of the server.
What is a MySQL query?
A MySQL database holds information stored within tables with columns and rows as would in an Excel document, and these tables can be “queried” for the specific data arranged in the manner that you want.
In this specific case scenario, I have a database table of contacts with 26 columns and 100,000+ rows and I need to display the total number of contacts per unique company for each state in an HTML table. The first approach would be the easier approach of looping through each state and querying the total from the database, resulting in an output of 1 row per request across 50 requests. The second approach would be to load all 50 rows into a PHP array, resulting in an output of 50 rows per request across 1 request, and then looping through the array to search for the matching state, 50 times.
The PHP array approach completely annihilated the MySQL query approach. Pingdom’s page speed test showed that the PHP array script executed in 1.28 seconds while the MySQL query script took 56.76 seconds to execute. Both approaches return the exact same resulting HTML.
Continue reading “PHP Array vs. MySQL Query Performance Test”
While you can resize your screen and use browser emulation such as the Toggle Device Mode within the Inspect Element tool in Google Chrome, you can get an idea of how your responsive website looks across different devices, there are still quirks within each device operating system that will render specific elements differently. To get an idea of how your website actually looks across the different platforms, you would need to test on the actual device or have an emulator that emulates everything from the operating system level—and that is exactly what Sauce Labs offers:
- Affordable for small business owners, entrepreneurs, web designers and web developers
- Ability to rotate certain device platforms including iPhone and iPad
- Automated testing is available for tech start ups and larger businesses
- Cross platform test across virtually any major OS and browser
- Can test across multiple OS (operating systems) simultaneously and toggling between OS by clicking the corresponding Tabs
- Ability to view another user’s quality assurance session with Spy feature
- Ability to create sub accounts
- Detailed logs so you can recreate any previous environment and runtime settings via Appium Log and Metadata
- Highly scalable for quality assurance professionals and large companies with the Selenium automation support
- Automated Testing is complex and not easily deployable by the average entrepreneur, business owner or webmaster
- Cannot see in 100% zoom of emulation OS, which causes the screen elements to display blurry
- Hard to manually log multiple bugs individually via video Snapshots since it captures the whole session with Manual Testing
Continue reading “Sauce Labs Review: Cross Browser Testing Across Every Desktop, Tablet and Mobile Platform”